Custom Search

Thursday, March 25, 2010

The admissions

This post will refer to my experience with my school. I need to tell someone. I am having a very hard time, not only with the classes themselves, but also with the school itself. When I enrolled into the program, it was part time. Half way into they changed it for the full time only. I was pregnant, working full time and obviously I couldn't just drop everything including the to-be-benefits, and adjust to their requirements. I kept getting calls from various advisors that I have to do this and that and switch. That I must take 2 more classes then I was already taking to meet the requirements (if anyone out there was pregnant, and working full time and studying full time, let me know so I can get inspired) I was not felling well and this just added to my stress. I kept calling back and clarifying everything just to get another phone call few days later as noone really knew anything and they kept giving me incorrect information. To top it up, the last advisor called me to tell me that the first two classes I took when I started and which were the part of the program will no longer count towards my degree and that I will have to take two more. Perhaps it was an attempt of a struggling U to get more tuition $ from the students that are already broke, I don't know. This resulted in few sleepless night and yet another appointment with yet another student advisor (time, $ for parking and time to get there) who clarified that I do not need another courses.

Today, I went to apply for the course substition (one of the classes was replaced but I haven't taken it yet so that was fine) I went to pick up the form once already, but after 40 minutes of waiting they told me they ran out of forms so I have to come another day. So today, since I was in a little smaller rush (still rush cuase baby was crying and tired, but I had B with me) I wanted to get that form. I was told I must line up. Ok, not happy, but whatever. I need this done. Waiting and waiting. Holding the baby, she's crying. I finally get to talk to the lady, who just finished talking to previous student for 20 or so minutes and who gives me the form. She says Bring it back when you fill it out. I reply that I am going to fill it out right away. She says No, you have to read it first. I don't want to leave cause I don't want to wait in a line again and all I need to fill is the address and the course numbers. But she says that I can just come to talk to her.

So I leave. I fill my address but I don't have the course number. She has an access to my records though so I return about 2 minutes later. I wait in front of the whole line until she finishes her current student. She says You have to fill the course numbers. But I dont have them. So you have to go use the computer behind to look them up. I don't know how (I actually did try to look up the old numbers but since the program has changed, it's no longer posted) So she tells me to go to the archives. Again, I say I don't know how. So she starts showing me and she stops at the last link, that hides the needed number. SHe will though not click on that link and again sends me to the computer in the corner.

So I go. I move the mouse, but nothing is happening. Computer is plugged, but not working. So I return to the clerk. Again, i have to wait as she is with another student. I tell her neither computer is working. I know, she says. To my question, why did she send me there, she replies that I must now to go the library to use the computer there. The library is on the other side of the campus. She still has the Archive link that hides the damn needed number on her screen. I said I am not leaving and to click on that link. She says that wouldn't be fair to the students that are waiting in the line. I said I am just not leaving again and she finally clicks on that link and provides me with the precious course number. To not make it too easy, she pretends she cannot read the numbers i'm writting down.

I then ask that I need to change my last name too (as I still use the maiden name) To which she answers that I must go to the line as she cannot help me with that, because there have been other people waiting in the line that she needs to help first.

So in other words, I go line up, then I get to her, and I must go back to the end of the line cuase there are people who came after me whom she needs to help first? At that point, I just asked for her name to which she said that I dont need it, so I left and I'm going to have to write a letter with a complaint. I'll just describe her as the blonde lady on the left.

To make things even more interesting, today was the career's day. There were probably lots of new potential students that came for that fair and if she dealt with each and every one of them this way, I don't see how they would be attracted to this University upfront. I also don't see how she can spend 20+ minutes on the previous student but will go out of her way to keep sending me away with an issue that would probably take less then one minute. Am I not eligible to get help when I don't know what to do or what? Before I got to her, I overheard her conversation with the previous student, bits and pieces, and she didn't seem to rush at all, quite otherwise, she let the student talk about totally unrelated topis for a bit.

Today, I am not impressed with my school at all.

1 comment:

KatieLiz said...

I'm sorry the blond lady on the left is giving you such a rough time. I hope she has a flat tire on her way home and no one stops to help her.